Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Siem Reap: Angor Wat

So here we are in the soul of Cambodia. Over 900 years ago a series of kings started to build temples dedicated to themselves, their mothers, their gods among other things. I asked our guide if, as the guide books say, that the people look to the temples to remind them of their great past and to serve as hope/reminder that they can rise again to leave the horrors of the past behind them. His reply was "Yes if you live in the city. If you live in the country you don't care. You are just trying to survive"

These photos are from Angor Wat. It seems to the most famous. It has been designated a World Heritage Site and countries from all over the world are putting money into the place to help restore and preserve.


Inside the gate with the reflection of some of the towers.

As you walk in the main gate, you are met by Vishnu. He has a whole bunch of arms, each with a tool in hand(s).


Who needs guards to protect the palace when you have a double headed monster with seven snake heads protecting the entrance...


A wedding party. The grooms shoes were from his Dad or buddy. They were easily 5 sizes too big. I think they were country folks with rented costumes. No one wears shoes in the country that we've seen. He probably borrowed the one pair that the village owned for such occasions.


Many of the statues were beheaded. Some by treasure hunters, some by warring factions seeking to finance their war, others were damaged by the Khmer Rouge trying to wipe out connections to the past.


Feeling small...

I read about hot air balloon rides over the temple. Turned out it was on the outskirts, the basket held about 50 (exaggerating) people. Not the romantic image I had. So I took a picture of the image I had. Alone with my sweetie in a hot air balloon (albeit in the background of a photo).

No comments: