Sunday, October 26, 2008

Warning for Metaphysical VW Geeks Only









At some point I will post some pictures and stories of getting the VW ready but will wait until I have some access to some pictures of the 'contruction phase'. Suffice it for now to give a brief synopsis. Here is a picture of us driving/parked on a beach in Oregon...

The van was purchased 10+ years ago. The engine lasted for about a year or two and then died after a trip to the Yukon where a number of weighty artifacts were brought back that taxed the capacity of the engine. At this point the original engine was retired and an engine from another engine van was placed inside ‘Elwood’. This engine has lasted many, many miles and many, many adventures but was getting tired. The mileage was dropping the exhaust system getting louder and louder. Maura, in her infinite wisdom and even greater love, suggested that we should consider rebuilding the engine and use Elwood for part of our adventure driving south. (To this point I was thinking we should take our Toyota down as it is 4WD and would provide access to many places that 2WD would not allow). The initial budget was quickly consumed as I started to add items that I saw as necessary for an extended southern driving trip and as non expected items showed themselves as needing attention. The non-inclusive repair list includes: new tires-8 ply, load range D, new tie rods, 1 new ball joint, new tach, oil pressure gage, oil temp warning gizmo, a GENE BERG SHIFTER, a new rear bearing, brake tune up, synthetic transmission oil change, various rust repairs and oh yeah a new engine-rebuilt from tip to tail, including a modified cam, new pistons and cylinders, new main bearings and electronic ignition - the full meal deal. My VW guru, Peter Roberts, out of Metchosin patiently worked with me directing me to do the entry level mechanical things on the van while he tended to the technical details. 2 Weeks later and a undisclosed amount of $$$ later the van is running like a top. There have been many mechanical stories that I found fascinating during the rebuild. Suffice it to say the quotient of idiosyncratic VW quirks from bouncing timing advances to irregular tachometer readings have been taken care of prior to our departure. The NEW van with parts from Holland, Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Canada, California and Pennsylvania is in fine shape and at this point only needing a new-used Air Flow Control Meter. Everything else is for the most part new, from the fuel pressure regulator to the injectors. (I must admit I thought I made an over the top decision putting adjustable Koni –read $&^#@!! $$$- racing shocks in, but after a few experiences driving with a FULLY loaded van in strong Oregon ocean crosswinds I am truly appreciative as we do not get completely blown off the road)

The reincarnation of the van also came with a new name. A sticker graced the dashboard just below the stereo with the name ‘Elwood’ on it, with a set of Texan longhorns in behind the name. I liked it as the name Elwood seemed to fit as it tied into Jake and Elwood from Blues Brothers fame. The only problem was that the sticker was in the same place that 2 new gauges would fit nicely. During a break in the rebuilding process I found myself in the hot tub at home reading Alan Watts Tao: The Watercourse Way. It was a book that I had when I lived in Whitehorse but lost to lending along the way. I recently found another copy in a used book store. So there I was in the hot tub reading about the principle of Wu-Wei –action through inaction - (Zonker Harris epitomised Wu-Wei best when he said, wearing his snorkel in Walden Pond “Hey, Ho, Go With the Flow” to Mike Doonsebury responding to a question about doing something productive with his life)…back to the point of the story…we renamed the van ‘Wo’ as the two new gauges in the dash have cut out the E and the L of Elwood along with the last O and the D leaving WO. It seemed fitting even if it spelled differently…besides our license plate is 228 GTW…which of course if you think about it stands for the ‘Great Travelling Wo’.

No comments: